J-1 Visas for Short-term Scholars

A J-1 visa for Short-Term Scholars is a temporary exchange visitor visa that allows foreign professors and research scholars to lecture, observe, consult or demonstrate at accredited academic institutions, research facilities, museums, libraries and similar institutions in the U.S.

J-1 Entitlements for Short-Term Scholars

A J-1 visa entitles the holder to participate in a Short-Term Scholar exchange program with a U.S. sponsoring organization. A J-1 visa for a Short-Term Scholar exchange is usually granted for a maximum of 6 months and extensions cannot be granted.

Spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (J-2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the U.S. Accompanying spouses and children are entitled to study in the United States and may undertake employment with an approved employment authorization.

J-1 Requirements for Short-Term Workers

To qualify for a J-1 visa as a short-term scholar in the U.S., the applicant must be accepted to participate in a certified short-term scholar exchange program in the U.S.

To participate in a short-term scholar exchange program, the applicant must be a professor, research scholar or individual with similar education and experience and meet the sponsoring organization’s specific requirements.

J-1 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

Full service cost - $5,000

Back to the list