I-Visa for Foreign Media Representatives

The I-Visa is a temporary work visa given to members and representatives of international mass media such as foreign press, radio, film, and other foreign information media who are coming into the U.S. Journalist, reporters and film production workers who apply for an I-Visa must be coming into the U.S. solely for their vocation and the result of their activities in the U.S. must be in the interest and advancement of their home audience.

I-Visa Entitlements

This visa allows its holder to work in the U.S. albeit temporarily. The I-Visa is usually granted for the duration of the applicant’s job status. In simple terms, this means that as long as the applicant still has his/her job, the individual can work and remain in the U.S. Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may also apply for an I visa to join their spouse or parent in the US. Accompanying spouses and children are entitled to study in the United States but are not entitled to undertake any employment without obtaining an appropriate work visa.

I-Visa Requirements

Applicants of the I-Visa must be freelance journalist or must be contracted by a media firm, representative of an international media, travelling to the U.S. for the sole purpose of their work and their profession. Applicants in the I-Visa category must be frequent travelers to the US to gather information, report on information or news, for a media organization which has its home office in a foreign country. I visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

Full service cost - $5,000

Back to the list